WELCOME TO MY ART AND ART TEACHING BLOG!

Thursday 14 April 2011

Malagung Dalaga (Beautiful Woman)

malagung dalagaAgain using Vietnamese character with Alibata or Baybayin script. 

In various national and regional cultures that I have known, glorifying the characteristics of woman is common. In my native province of Pampanga, I still remember the song "Malagung Dalaga" (beautiful woman) which was actually sang by my neighbors while in their beer drinking session. Those vivid memories of Tatang Peping Tagilo sining whole day with his basulto rendition are irreplaceable. I could still recall this song was even the very first song that I have mastered and sang in the stage at the age of 6 in an amateur singing context. (By the way the singing was a self-directed one- I went to the stage by myself, my mom and dad does not even know it). 

Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam have their own song about what is a beautiful woman in their context. I am sure any culture will have their own version. The middle part of Vietnam, Hue, they even have the song t"he10 characteristics of beautiful woman with o tang, o tang (just like lalalala) after every character. In the bible, there is also a passage on  what is a beautiful woman, but it's more on the inner beauty of her and how she takes her family. 

I have, a beautiful woman too.... her name is Lan, my wife, who is a Vietnamese. For me she is the fitting example of a beautiful woman. How I thank God for giving her to me. I could never replicate the kind of dedication she has with my children and me. The song in my native village "Malagung dalaga" was all written as adornment using embossed paint. The Vietnamese lady here, is a lyrical symbolism of her identity as a Vietnamese, who is so timid and shy - a common subject  I borrowed from old Vietnamese painters like "To Ngoc Van". The animal on the left symbolizes her characteristics of never giving up and her undying hardworking character. 

I love you sweetheart. This is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment